County Fermanagh Ireland Facts
County Fermanagh Ireland Facts include a county with a population of approximately 60,000 and Enniskillen as its county town. It is also one of the thirty-two traditional counties of Ireland, lying within the province of Ulster.
It is one of the top destinations if you are visiting Ireland to have a boating holiday. In the summer months the lakes are full of tourists and also a very popular place for fishing. It truly has some special scenery among all the the Ireland landscapes you will see.
Check out more about County Fermanagh sights and local Fermanagh bed and breakfast.
Fun Facts about Ireland:
County Fermanagh Ireland Facts:
- County Fermanagh shares a border with County Tyrone in Northern Ireland (uk) and with County Monaghan, County Cavan, County Donegal and County Leitrim in the Republic of Ireland.
- Fermanagh is the only county in Northern Ireland which does not border on Lough Neagh.
- Famous poets Oscar Wilde and Samuel Beckett were born in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh and educated at Portora Royal School.
- Devenish Island is the site of a twelfth century round tower. The tower is 100ft tall and can be climbed by internal ladders.
- Agriculture and tourism are two of the most important industries in Fermanagh
- At the northern tip of the lake is Belleek known the world over for its trademark delicate bone chinaware.
- Were you to cruise the whole length of the waterway between the village of Leitrim and Lough Erne, you'd travel 40 miles.
- Enniskillen is 134km (83 miles) from Belfast.
- Lough Melvin is well known as a fishing lake with the common fish being salmon, brown trout and char.
- A well known tourist attraction is Marble Arch caves .They are part of a large cave system and were opened to the public in 1985.
- Lough Erne has 154 islands and a lot of little coves and inlets.
- The County has two stately homes called Florencecourt and Castlecoole.
Top to County Fermanagh Ireland Facts
Return to Ireland Facts Home
Home to Uniquely northern Ireland