Ireland Facts are many and varied whether they cover our Ireland culture or maybe the geography of Ireland. Each county in Ireland is of course home to many of its own many interesting facts about Ireland as discussed below.
So with that in mind is a short introduction of what we hope is the beginnings of a resource compiling some fun facts about Ireland that provide information about Ireland in general and some additional more specific information on northern Ireland counties.
Fun Facts about Ireland
- Population across all counties of Ireland is approximately six million, with approximately 4.2 million living in the Republic and 1.8 million living in Northern Ireland.
- Ireland is 385 kilometres/300 miles at its longest; 304 kilometres/190 miles at its widest.
- Ireland is divided into four provinces – Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connacht.
- There are 32 counties of Ireland, the Republic occupies 26 counties, Northern Ireland (UK) has 6.
- Capital city of Republic of Ireland is Dublin and capital of Northern Ireland(UK) is Belfast.
- The Republic of Ireland uses the Euro, the common European currency, while Northern Ireland (UK) uses UK Sterling.
- Famous breweries include Guinness and Harp.
- Ireland has won the Eurovision 7 times more than any country.
- It is estimated over 80 million people live outside Ireland around the world.
- Ireland's oldest bar is Sean's bar in Athlone more than 900 years and the oldest with a license is Grace Neill's bar in Donaghdee, northern Ireland.
Interesting Facts about Ireland:
Northern Ireland Counties
- The Giant's Causeway, situated on the North East coast of Northern Ireland, is an area of about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcanic eruption.
- Titanic ship was built in Belfast, the capital of Northern Ireland.
- There are 5 cities in northern Ireland, Belfast, Armagh, Lisburn, Derry and Newry.
- Banks of the Foyle Halloween Festival in Derry is the oldest Hallooween celebration in Ireland with the largest street party.
- Donegal is the most northerly of the 32 counties of Ireland.
Ireland Facts from County Derry-Londonderry
County Fermanagh Facts
County Down Facts
County Antrim Facts
County Armagh Facts
County Donegal Facts
County Tyrone Facts
Top to Ireland Facts
Home to Uniquely northern Ireland